Marcoses Lose Paoay Property

The Sandiganbayan says former President Marcos had no legal rights over the property, and used public funds to develop it

Rappler.com
Published 4:01 PM, Apr 23, 2014
Updated 4:02 PM, Apr 23, 2014

MANILA, Philippines – The Sandiganbayan has junked the claim of the Marcos family to a resort property in Paoay, Ilocos Norte.
Continue reading

Advertisements

Marcos Jewels Could Be Sold After Sandigan Rules Malacanang Collection ‘Ill-Gotten’

By: Agence France-Presse
January 14, 2014 12:37 PM

MANILA, Philippines — A jewelry collection owned by former first lady Imelda Marcos was “ill-gotten,” a Philippine court has ruled, potentially paving the way for an auction of millions of dollars worth of seized treasures.

The anti-graft court decided on Monday that the Malacanang Collection, the smallest of three confiscated from the Marcos estate and worth some $150,000, was rightfully owned by the government.
Continue reading

Singapore Court Awards $23M in Marcos Money to PNB

January 3, 2014 7:27pm

Singapore’s Court of Appeal ruled in favor of its Supreme Court’s decision to grant over $23 million seized from the estate of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to the Philippine National Bank, ending a four-way dispute over Marcos’ ill-gotten wealth.

The funds, comprised of $16.8 million and GBP4.2 million, form part of Marcos’ illicit fortune stashed in Swiss bank accounts.
Continue reading

Marcos Regime Victims to get P50,000

By Helen Flores, The Philippine Star
Posted at 12/11/2013 4:47 AM | Updated as of 12/11/2013 4:49 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Some 10,000 victims of human rights abuses during the Marcos regime will get compensation of P50,000 each on Jan. 27, 2014, their lawyer said yesterday.

Robert Swift said the compensation is from a $10-million settlement over an 1899 painting by French artist Claude Monet previously owned by Imelda Marcos.
Continue reading

US Judge OKs Payment of $7.5M to Marcos Victims

January 14, 2011 8:08am

HONOLULU — A federal judge on Thursday approved the distribution of $7.5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by thousands of victims of torture, execution and abduction under the regime of the late Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos.

The distribution provides victims their first opportunity to collect something since they sued in 1986.
Continue reading

SF Court Awards Damages To Marcos Victims

Updated: 4:34 p.m. Thursday, May 4, 2006 | Posted: 4:33 p.m. Thursday, May 4, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — Thousands of Filipinos seeking compensation from the regime of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos won their first financial battle Thursday in their 10-year quest to recover a $2 billion jury verdict to settle human rights abuses.

The 9,500 Filipinos, most of them living in the Philippines, can share among them $35 million in a New York brokerage account Marcos opened in 1972 with a $2 million deposit, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled. The Philippine government claimed the money belonged to its treasury, but the appeals court said it had no legal right to that deposit.
Continue reading

SC Awards $658-M in Marcos Swiss Accounts

By Aurea Calica | Updated July 16, 2003 – 12:00am

The Supreme Court awarded to the Philippine government yesterday the frozen Swiss bank deposits of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos amounting to $658 million as of Jan. 31, 2002.

The funds have been held in escrow by the Philippine National Bank after a Swiss Court transferred the Marcos deposits in 1999, then only $570 million, pending final resolution on ownership.
Continue reading

Marcos Family Agrees to Pay $150 Million

By Mary Adamski
Star-Bulletin
Thursday, February 25, 1999

Settlement will compensate victims for torture, detention and executions

Money that the late Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos stashed in Swiss banks will finally find its way into the hands of his victims and their families under a $150 million settlement announced yesterday.
Continue reading